The Ricardos Slept in Separate Beds

Ryan and I both woke up with bags under our eyes this morning due to an awful night's rest. Ryan is usually pretty subtle when he gives criticism but this morning, however, there was nothing subtle about his critique of our current sleeping arrangements. It's possible that we both woke up about 5 times each during the course of the night. Here was his take on it:
Problem #1: The Darth Vader
He says that I sleep with my mouth open and sometimes I breathe really loudly, not snoring per say, but more like the Darth Vader effect. I can't dispute it. I wish I didn't but he knows as well as I do that it's not my fault-it's genetic. Every Hassman sleeps with their mouth open and he even made the comment that it has been genetically passed down to some of the nieces and nephews. The other issue is that I have broke my nose twice, so if I am sick or really tired, the Darth Vader effect comes out in full force sometimes. I always wanted to be a "pretty sleeper", like the women you see in movies whose husbands lay there and admire them in all their flawless beauty, sleeping. It's never going to happen. However, even Ryan would say that I am not a snorer. And neither is he, thank goodness.
Problem #2: Middle of the Bed Syndrome
We have a queen size bed. I tried to convince him when we were buying it that everyone who gets a queen always ends up wanting a king, so we should just get a king. Well, he won that one and now he might be paying for it. The problem is that I have this thing where I like to sleep in the middle of the bed, which unfortunately for him, means right up next to him. And apparently last night, on his pillow, with my mouth open. Oops. I don't start out in the middle of the bed. I just somehow end up there.
Here are the other problems:
Temps: He sleeps with nothing more than a sheet. I like to have a heavy blanket. We don't share covers. However, I like to have some air circulating the room via fan, open window, A/C, and he doesn't which means either he is going to inevitably get cold during the night or I am going to get hot. It's a problem.
The doors: He has to sleep with all the doors closed and most locked. I don't know why. I think it's weird, but it's this routine he has, which is why I feel like I need some air circulating the entrapped room. This morning at about 4:00 I got up to use the facilities and I apparently didn't fully close the door behind me. I got back into bed and not even a minute had gone by and he got out of bed to close the door to the bathroom.
But perhaps the biggest problem of all right now is that I am pregnant. I reminded him of this after his not so subtle critique this morning. I have to turn and adjust probably once an hour now and I can no longer hold my bladder throughout the night. I've got all kinds of weight pressing down on my diaphragm now which only contributes to the Darth Vader effect of which I have no control over. So we revisited an idea we have considered before...sleeping in separate beds. It wasn't sounding so bad this morning after we looked at our bag-ladden eyes. Lucy and Ricky did it & I found out that Grandma and Grandpa Loveless slept in separate beds too. I still think we should have got the King...that's like having two beds anyway. I should have fought harder for that one. Oh, well. Here's to a good night's sleep.

1 comment:
I love our king...but also still love the middle of the bed:) Were we separated at birth as twins? (and a few years;)
By the end of my pregnancy I had to sleep with 4 pillows. One on each side of me and 2 behind my head...good luck on that one. Maybe the extra pillows will help him feel more enclosed:)
Post a Comment