 |
| Gram and Me |
A few weeks ago, my sweet Gram had some unexpected problems with her heart and things were pretty touch and go for a while. Mom suggested that we get down to visit Gram as soon as we all could because things were pretty sketchy for a while. So my sisters all packed up and road tripped to Deming, but as I was just a few months out of back surgery, there was no way I could make the 12+ hour drive in a car.
So I bought a ticket for a few weeks following and Cory agreed to meet me in El Paso and drive me to Gram's...bless her heart. It's a 6 hr drive from TX to N.M. and she was so kind to help out the gimp as I couldn't even lift my own luggage. She did bring her mutt boxer dog, Lucky, named because he was lucky to be alive when she found him on the side of the road, beaten and missing all but 4 teeth. So at least she had some company on the drive, although I don't think I ever heard him bark, not even once. Seriously, that dog was somethin' else.
 |
| Faye, Jim, Nancy, & Leedrue |
|
| Great Aunt Betty, Cory, Me & Gram |
By the time I got there Gram was doing so well. She tired easily, but she was up and about, getting her hair and nails done, driving all over and telling stories again and again...just like the Gram I have always known. No trip to Deming is complete without a trip to Si Seniors Mexican for lunch with the Hyatts. I hadn't seen some of them in so long.
 |
| Jim and Faye with the grandkiddos |
Cory and I got some great stories out of Gram about her childhood and teen years. We learned alot about her family and went through some old journals and had a good laugh. We came home with the paper work to register with the Potowatomi Citizen Tribe as we are direct decendants of Chief Joseph and his princess daughter.
 |
| Gram's childhood home |
We even took a little drive around town and Gram showed us many of the places she used to live as a child, teen and in young adulthood. It was a great history lesson.
On the way out of town we stopped by the cemetary to visit Dad's grave. It just never gets easier. I miss him more and more everytime I go there. I got Cory to myself for a few days which was wonderful. Lots of late nights, laughter and tears and I was reminded of how much I miss my big sister. I am so grateful for a husband and family that made this trip possible for me. I am grateful to my Father in Heaven for letting us keep Gram for a while longer. She has some kick left in her yet!
No comments:
Post a Comment