Investment
A good friend and neighbor of mine told me about this lady named JoD who has taught over 10,000 kids to swim. One catch. It's a sink or swim type method... okay not really, but it seems like that way at first. Drowning most often happens in infants and toddlers because they panic in the water and when they start to scream they inhale water into their lungs.
So her first lesson is to get the kids not to fear the water when they go under. They only learn this by learning not to freak out when they go under. So incidentally, they go under a lot. She spends the first several lessons doing Bobs--up and under, up and under-- until they learn to quit crying, and start blowing bubbles underneath.
Once they learn to remain calm, then she can get them to float on their backs, get to the wall, and turn over and get themselves out of the pool. And once they get it...Momma rewards them with a giant lollipop!
I'm not gonna lie...it's not cheap, it's not easy to watch (at least for the first couple of lessons when they are screaming and you feel like you just threw them into a den of lions).
Every day before swim we say a little prayer that we can be safe, not cry, blow bubbles, and listen to our teachers. I was telling Max one day after his lesson that I was proud of him because I knew it was so hard and scary for him. The next day after his lesson he got out and said to me "Mom, I can do hard things." So I'm thinking this is turning out to be more than just lessons in swimming.
Luke is definitely one of the favorite clients. He just loves on Miss JoD and she falls for it...most days. I think sometimes she spends more time loving on him than anything else. I guess it's okay... he seems to trust her.
Luke fell in the pool, fully clothed one day while trying to toss rings to Max. My first reaction was to jump in and get him as he first panicked. Then I saw his little arms go behind his head, and his belly and toes start to float up. That was right about the time that Max freaked out and grabbed his jersey, keeping him from floating up. Once I pried a very scared and protective Max off his little brother, Luke floated right to the top. He knew what to do. At that moment I knew it was worth the small fortune, time, and tears we put into it.
So her first lesson is to get the kids not to fear the water when they go under. They only learn this by learning not to freak out when they go under. So incidentally, they go under a lot. She spends the first several lessons doing Bobs--up and under, up and under-- until they learn to quit crying, and start blowing bubbles underneath.
Once they learn to remain calm, then she can get them to float on their backs, get to the wall, and turn over and get themselves out of the pool. And once they get it...Momma rewards them with a giant lollipop!
I'm not gonna lie...it's not cheap, it's not easy to watch (at least for the first couple of lessons when they are screaming and you feel like you just threw them into a den of lions).
Every day before swim we say a little prayer that we can be safe, not cry, blow bubbles, and listen to our teachers. I was telling Max one day after his lesson that I was proud of him because I knew it was so hard and scary for him. The next day after his lesson he got out and said to me "Mom, I can do hard things." So I'm thinking this is turning out to be more than just lessons in swimming.
Luke is definitely one of the favorite clients. He just loves on Miss JoD and she falls for it...most days. I think sometimes she spends more time loving on him than anything else. I guess it's okay... he seems to trust her.
Luke fell in the pool, fully clothed one day while trying to toss rings to Max. My first reaction was to jump in and get him as he first panicked. Then I saw his little arms go behind his head, and his belly and toes start to float up. That was right about the time that Max freaked out and grabbed his jersey, keeping him from floating up. Once I pried a very scared and protective Max off his little brother, Luke floated right to the top. He knew what to do. At that moment I knew it was worth the small fortune, time, and tears we put into it.

No comments:
Post a Comment