7.31.2008

The Best Kind of Busy

I remember at one time in my life thinking, "When I don't have to work anymore and I am just home with my kids, life will slow down." Now I know why every mom around me was laughing. It seems that since Max came, life has just been a whirlwind and I've never been busier.
As if parenthood in and of itself doesn't keep you busy enough, Ryan and I have both had very rewarding but very busy callings serving in the Elders Quorum and YW presidencies for over a year. Between his weekly meetings and special assignments from the bishop and my mutual activities, youth conference, and girls camp, we happily served and happily relished our 3 days a week we had to spend with each other.
About a month ago, our ward split and Ryan was called as the new EQ president of a brand new ward. We are excited for this opportunity for him to serve and while I dearly miss my calling in the YW, I am grateful for my new "Sunday only" calling as the Nusery Coordinator.
I must say I have such an appreciation for those families who have fathers and husbands serving in the bishoprics. And as much as I would like to have more evenings with my husband, I know that the Lord gives us blessings that are reserved for those who willingly sacrifice so much time for the church. Months ago, Ryan and I were both having one of those complaining moments, feeling like we were just being spread too thin. It didn't take long before we both realized we had better shut our mouths and repent, and always give thanks for the opportunities we had been given to serve.
While we are busy, it's a good busy. It's a happy busy. It's a fulfilling busy. Indeed, it's the best kind of busy.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Great perspective and reminder. You guys are great and will always be needed, so thank you for sacrificing your talents and time with the rest of the world:)

christine said...

Congrats on your new callings! It is hard being spread thin, but then I always think, "hey, at least Jim isn't in the bishopric," which was probably one of the hardest, busiest times of our lives. We're excited to see you at Kelsey's wedding-it's been too long in between visits. We miss everyone!

The Sohm's said...

Congrats on the new calling. Eric was also recently called as Elder's Quorum President. It is definitely going to be busy but they will both do a great job.

Trinity said...

I need your perspective more Calli. Thanks for that reminder . . . Dave and I have been feeling a bit overwhelmed in our youth callings as well. You must have been inspired to post this for me! ;)