FOOLED
April 1 made a fool out of someone in our home yesterday...my husband would say that fool was me because anyone who participates in such a lame tradition is a fool in his mind. I say that is only because people with such sour attitudes are the ones who end up getting fooled! Our family loves pranks...thanks to my mother. One time she went out back in our alley way in TX and left one of those fake bloody appendages that you get at Halloween sticking out of the bottom of the dumpster...and I'm not even sure that it was April Fools Day. Yes, my mother is to blame for all of our insanely ridiculous but rather amusing antics. My husband happens to hate all things ridiculous or even remotely surprising so it is especially fun to fool him. Yesterday I called him at work and this is how I made a fool out of him...
Me:"What is Max's happiness worth to you?"
Ryan:"It's worth a whole lot."
Me:"Then you won't care what I got him today."
Ryan:"What?...More clothes?...Because that doesn't make him happy, that makes you happy."
Me:"Nope. I was at WalMart and this cute little family was selling these adorable puppies for $20. They have floppy ears and Max went nuts over them."
Ryan (after a long pause):"Tell me you didn't buy a dog."
Me:"Oh honey but it's papered and has it's shots and everything and Max just loves it."
Ryan:"You bought a dog. You really bought a dog."
This conversation went on for about 10 minutes with Ryan getting ever more silent and me explaining how much it would mean to Max. Anyone who knows my husband knows that the purchase of any pet, including fish, would constitute the need for serious conversation...of which would consist of his rationale of all reasons why we shouldn't have pets followed by negotiations of taking Max to the Zoo or Aunt Jolea's if he needs to be with animals.
Yes, there was no better way to fool my husband. Just as he was no doubt searching for the appropriate way to tell me to take the floppy eared mutt back to the WalMart parking lot, I reminded him of what a gullable fool he was on April Fool's Day. He didn't even care. He just said "Oh good. At least there's no dog." Today however he has reminded me more than once just how lame April Fool's is. Which makes it all the more fun for the fooler...

4 comments:
Yes, this is a GREAT post. You are such a good writer. I'm sad I never recognized the gift so fully before. I loved this post. And I love your personality and the ability you have to think of the single thing that would make your otherwise serene husband squirm. You are great.
That was a good one! I was a party pooper this year and didn't even realize it was April Fool's Day until it was over! Oops!
Oh this is great amo for next year. I may be all the way down here in Texas, but oh how much fun April Fools day is for me who loooooooooves pranks. Now I have a target, hehehea. This is my favorite Holiday. I sent all the kids to school and had them tell everyone, I was pregnant. It was great. Just wait Ryan. Let the fun begin.
I am laughing out loud. Love it!! I wish I had thought of that one. Maybe next year. ANdrew is obsessed with dogs so it would be believeable!
Post a Comment